Sugar is overrated, wouldn’t you agree? It comes in many forms and is versatile, but it’s not always healthy for us. Luckily, there are a plethora of artificial sweeteners you can find. But what if that doesn’t satisfy you either? Then it’s time to start using honey!
Not only is this natural sweetener delicious, but many say it has medicinal properties. In fact, people use it to treat coughs or heal wounds. But did you know that we started foraging and consuming honey 8,000 years ago? That’s mind-blowing!
Nowadays, besides its medicinal properties, people often use honey in various recipes. Let’s be honest there’s nothing better than some honey spread on an American biscuit. But even though this sweetener is, well, sweet, it can also be used in savory dishes.
And that’s what we’re here to show you! We’ll tell you all about two quick and easy recipes with honey you just have to try. Stick around until the end because we might even teach you how to do the frozen honey trend we all saw on TikTok. Ready? Let’s get to it!
1. Honey Cookies
Of course, we have to start with something sweet. And we’re bringing you a recipe you’ll love, make all the time, and maybe even perfect it to the point of altering the recipe and making it your own. Plus, who doesn’t love cookies? They can be served on any occasion or a random day when you’re craving them. Since this recipe is so easy, you can let your little ones help you out, and here’s the list of ingredients:
- 1 cup / 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup regular sugar
- ⅓ cup Raw Honey
- 1 room temperature egg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups AP flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- A pinch of salt
Once you gather all of your ingredients, ensure you have some mixing bowls, a mixer, and a baking tray. Now, onto the instructions! Follow these steps:
- You’ll want to separate wet and dry ingredients. So, in one bowl, you’ll add butter, honey, sugar, and vanilla extract. Set ½ cup of sugar aside for later. Use an electric mixer to mix the ingredients together until they’re creamy. Once you’re done, add the egg and mix again.
- Add the dry ingredients to the other bowl — flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk them together until combined.
- It’s time to put the wet and dry ingredients together but do it gradually. Set your mixer on a low speed, and start adding small amounts of the dry mixture into the wet. This will ensure you combine everything evenly. When you’re done, scrape the bottom and sides of your mixing bowl to ensure everything is blended well.
- Cover your cookie dough with plastic wrap and let it cool and set it in the fridge for an hour (or up to 5 days).
- When the baking time comes, preheat your oven to 375℉ and line the baking tray with parchment paper. Ready the ½ cup of sugar you’ve set aside because you’ll need it for rolling.
- Here comes the fun part — take your dough out of the fridge, use a scoop, spoon, or your hands to take a chunk of it out, and form balls. Or create one giant cookie! Don’t forget to roll each ball in granulated sugar.
- Ensure to give cookies enough space because they’ll flatten during baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies become golden. Let them cool down and enjoy!
2. Honey Steak Bites
Here’s another easy recipe to reach for whenever you’re in a time crunch and don’t know what to make. Also, it’s a great way to add some variety to your diet because we know you’re already sick of eating hot honey chicken. Or just chicken in all of its forms. So, why not treat yourself to something more luxurious that can be done in just about an hour? Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1.5 lbs sirloin steak
- 3 tablespoons Barrel-Aged Honey
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, approx. 3 cloves
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive or regular oil
The list of ingredients is short this time, but don’t let that fool you. This recipe will be just as delicious as the last one. You’ll need a sharp knife, a non-stick pan, and a resealable bag. Plus, anything else you want to serve with this dish. Follow along:
- Trim the fat and dice your steak into approx. 1-inch cubes. Transfer the cubes into the resealable bag.
- Whisk soy sauce, garlic, and honey in a mixing bowl and pour it over the steak cubes.
- Seal the bag and let it marinate in the fridge for 1 hour (or longer, if you have time).
- When the time is up, heat up the oil on medium-high heat.
- Take the steak bites out of the marinade and onto the pan. Ensure they’re spaced evenly and sear for 1 minute on each side.
- Continue cooking until they’re as done as you like, and repeat the process.
- Serve with your garnish of choice on the White Ceramic Dinner Plates, and enjoy!
Quality Honey Lasts, Frozen or Not
Okay, we know why you’re really here — the frozen honey TikTok trend. Making it is as simple as you think! Just freeze the honey in an empty water bottle! Once it’s frozen, it’ll be firm enough to squeeze out and enjoy.
Many people wonder: “Does honey expire?” And the answer might surprise you because organic honey lasts forever. You’ve read that correctly! The worst that can happen is it’ll become granulated and darken, but it’s still 100% safe to consume.
Since there’s no expiration date, it’s enough to have a few jars of quality honey in your pantry to last you a long time. So, check out our collection of Honey & Sweeteners and pick your healthy poison.